Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:58:13 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Dj Browne <derek@hcl.com>, chad@DCFinc.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: D-Link DE620

Tom wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> > Is a direct-cable serial PPP link an option?  At 115,200 bps, it's just
> > about as fast as the parallel-port ethernet, if a little less convenient
> > to setup.
>
>   What are you smoking?  11.5 K bytes/sec is quite a bit slower than 120K
> bytes/sec.

Smoking? networks!  The speed of the network link depends on what you're
doing with it, not on the raw throughput.  If he wants email and domain
name lookups or something like that, he really won't notice much (any)
difference between the two.  If he's looking for network file sharing
or transferring large files, of course the performance will differ.

Faster transports don't always mean faster applications, but try explaining
this to the gigabit ethernet true believers.  ;^)

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                      +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                   wes@softweyr.com