Date:      Sun, 08 Oct 2000 11:02:39 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: CVSROOT avail

[redirected to -ports]

> Well, it only took 17 hours. :)
>
> I tried my best to be careful but I'm sure there are some ports that
> broke as a result, so please be gentle!
>
> By the way, if you are expecting CVS to suddenly run faster, don't be
> disappointed by it running as slow as ever.  The speedup will only
> come when the Attics are cleaned (a few months later) by the CVS
> meisters.

I guess I must have been asleep during the discussions which preceded
this move since the rearrangement event didn't take me by surprise
(you were very good about announcing that in advance) but the actual
details of it did.  I recognise that the package metadata does take
up a bunch of inodes, though I don't quite see what advantage was
incurred by moving it up one level from, say, pkg/PLIST to pkg-plist;
can you perhaps explain it again for those of us like me who weren't
paying attention the first time?

Most notably, I'm wondering why you didn't simply fold all the package
metadata into a single file with unique separators (even html-ish tags
would do). Then the ports makefile infrastructure would simply
separate it out into separate temp files for the rather rarely
executed (for most folks anyway) "package" target.  I think it's only
that and the "describe" target which have any interest in the contents
of the pkg/ directory unless you count the plist munging stuff, and
that could be fairly easily changed to work from a single file as
well.

I should also note that the libh folks are working towards a packaging
standard with a single package metadata file, so if we ever do manage
to get that project finished and the ports collection migrated to a
new package format, such a move would occur in any case.

- Jordan