Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 16:56:24 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make install trick

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 04:18:15PM -0500, a little birdie told me
that Kevin Day remarked

> > /dev/da0s1a on / (local, synchronous, writes: sync 32 async 15100)
>
> My understanding was that that was just a indication of writes that were
> able to be done asynchronously without any risk, so they were done async.
>
> (sync isn't purely sync, only synchronous when it's required for integrity)

I was given to understand that while the default mountop follows these
conventions, explicit 'sync' meant SYNC meant SYNC meant SYNC.

This is my root filesystem.  It gets written to when I edit a file under
/etc or do an installworld.  I don't *CARE* how slow it is, I want to
know that it's solid, consistent, and complete.  Just 'consistent' isn't
enough.  No write is able to be done async without risk when I'm
explicitly saying 'write everything synchronously'.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com