Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:06:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1008658698.82b0d6@mired.org>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kelly Hendrix <kelly@slackwit.com>
Subject:   Re: EzBSD aint for me! Was: A breath of fresh air..

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, John Baldwin wrote:
>
> [How did this message end up with two Cc headers?]
>
> >> It's rather like people who buy sports cars:  They may not be expert
> >> mechanics, but overall, they tend to know significantly more about cars than
> >> the average person.
>
> Actually it's rather like most people who buy sporty cars[0].
> They go to the Ford dealership (CompUSA) thinking they need to get
> a car (Computer), and the salesman talks up the status and
> performance they'll get with a Mustang (latest 9Ghz P4) and they
> buy it.  Then they realize they can't drive so they put an
> automatic transmission (Windows) on it and ruin any chance in hell
> it had of performing decently.

Pffft.  So people who put automatic transmissions in their sports cars
(the cars you mention are actually muscle cars... well, not exactly)
suddenly can't drive and the car isn't going to perform worth a damn?
I'm the owner of a 2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am WS6 -- with an
automatic transmission, and that was my choice, not because I picked
it off the lot that way.  I walked into the dealership knowing exactly
what I wanted and had the car built my way, no salesmanship involved.
I think you'd be very surprised at how many cars on the drag strip use
automatic transmissions.  Unless you are a VERY good driver, an
automatic transmission gives you greater consistency than a manual,
and consistency is extremely important in bracket racing.  You'll
generally also get a better start off the line with an automatic.
While there are some days I wish I had the six-speed manual, just for
the pure fun of it, most of the time I don't regret getting the
four-speed auto at all.  I've toasted every car I've met on the street
in the two years I've had it (I'll meet someone tomorrow and regret
saying that, probably), and I haven't even modified the car yet.  Oh,
it corners pretty damn well, too.

> [1] Since now I'll probably get some off-the-cuff response from a
> Mustang owner asking what the hell is it I drive I'll tell you
  ^^^^^^^ Trans-Am

> that no, it's not a sports car.  It's a classic 1974 Volkswagen
> Type I Sedan and daily it leaves American Steel in its dust.

Care to race?  It's likely that you'll get a brief glimpse at my
license plate which reads GO-UNIX before it becomes too small to read.
Straight or windy roads, doesn't matter to me. :-)

Oh, I only have a license plate in the back of the car, not the front,
just in case you were thinking of a witty comeback on that one (in
which case it would have read XINU-OG anyway).  :-)

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet