Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 1995 15:54:17 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        serges@umr.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is the Adaptec 1522 SCSI controller supported?

serges@umr.edu stands accused of saying:
> Looking through the hardware compatibility page in the Manual
> I see that the Adaptec 1522 (not the 42) is supposed to be supported
> by FreeBSD 2.X. But its not listed under the AHA(4) device manual page,
> dated  August 31, 1994.  Does it come up under another device?

Yup, it's an AIC.

> So what s the story? Is it supported? Better yet, is anyone using the
> 152X controller with IDE hardrives? It appears most opted for the
> bus mastering 1542. What about the 1522?

It's supported.  Last I head, the performance was about what you'd expect
from a PIO controller; ie. don't use it in any sort of performance-critical
application.

> All reponses will be appreciated. I need to buy somthing pretty fast
> and I dont really what to get more than I need.

What do you need?  Are you talking disk, tape or what?

> Serge.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[