Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 00:18:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Craig Wilson <craig@natsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE Drives Greater Than 2048MBytes

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Craig Wilson wrote:

> I am attempting to install FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE on a Pentium 150MHz
> with a 3Gig IDE Hard Drive.
>
> When you opt to run the bad block scan it fails at the 2048 MByte point
> with every block past there being reported as an error. This happens
> whether the drive is in LBA or NORMAL mode.
> Will FreeBSD support a partition over 2048MBytes in length, or is this
> just a problem with the bad block scanning program?

freeBSD will have no problem, it must be a bug in bad144.  This is the
first time I've heard of this.

> Also if you scan an IDE hard drive over 512MByte without LBA mode the
> bad block table gets written above the 512MByte boundry (1024cylinder)
> making the drive unbootable. Is there a way to get the bad track table
> to reside below cylinder 1024?

Another oddity...looks like bad144 needs to be updated.

Technically, your IDE disk should be remapping bad sectors.  If they're
starting to show then your disk is probably due for replacement.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo