Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 2013 03:45:30 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        Matthew Rezny <mrezny@hexaneinc.com>, Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/156405: x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati driver: no hardware rendering

--
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer

With NetBSD 5.x screenblanking the text console, and not able to come back to a text console from X, I worked almost exclusively as root.

I didn't take NetBSD seriously for multiuser.

Before going into X, I remembered to have an extra console logged in as root, just so I could Crtl-Alt-Fn to that console and type
shutdown -r now.

NetBSD by default gives four vty consoles, in contrast to 8 in FreeBSD and 6 in Slackware Linux.

Tom