Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2014 19:18:54 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        marck@rinet.ru
Cc:        erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: building stable/8 on stable/10 host: is it supported?

----Security_Multipart(Thu_Jan_30_19_18_54_2014_444)--

Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru> wrote
  in <alpine.BSF.2.00.1401301355020.64486@woozle.rinet.ru>:

ma> On Thu, 30 Jan 2014, Erich Dollansky wrote:
ma>
ma> > > looking into troubles with my builder I found more things:
ma> > >
ma> > > while on stable/9 host, it seamlessly builds all stable versions from
ma> > > 10 to 6. stable/4 had to be built in stable/6 jail
ma> > >
ma> > > Now, after upgrade builder host system to stable/10, I can no longer
ma> > > build stable/8 and older (this in on fresh stable/10 jail,
ma> > > without /usr/obj *and* without -j, which prevents from succeeding
ma> > > upgrade_checks):
ma> > >
ma>
ma> [snip]
ma>
ma> > > make: don't know how to make /usr/lib/libstdc++.a. Stop
ma> > > *** Error code 2
ma> > >
ma> > > Stop in /FreeBSD/src.8.
ma> > > *** Error code 1
ma> > >
ma> > > Stop in /FreeBSD/src.8.
ma> > > *** Error code 1
ma> > >
ma> > > Stop.
ma> > > make: stopped in /FreeBSD/src.8
ma> > >
ma> > are you using gcc?
ma> >
ma> > 10 uses normally clang.
ma>
ma> Well, I thought buildtools and cross-tools targets should take care of that,
ma> aren't they?

 Currently stable/8 does not build on a box running 10 or later
 because several commits to fix build errors at the toolchain
 bootstrapping stages due to the toolchain migration were not MFC'd
 yet.  For stable/8, try the following patch:

 http://people.allbsd.org/~hrs/FreeBSD/stable-8-patch.diff

-- Hiroki