Date:      29 Apr 1998 01:10:16 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        John Frader <nat@mylanders.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel compile problem after upgrading to stable Apr28th

John Frader <nat@mylanders.com> writes:
> cc -O -I.   -c aicasm_scan.c
> ../../dev/aic7xxx/aicasm_scan.l: In function `yylex':
> ../../dev/aic7xxx/aicasm_scan.l:68: `T_DOWNLOAD' undeclared (first use
> this function)
> ../../dev/aic7xxx/aicasm_scan.l:68: (Each undeclared identifier is
> reported only once
> ../../dev/aic7xxx/aicasm_scan.l:68: for each function it appears in.)
> *** Error code 1
>
> I don't use the aic controller. I use the ahc. When I looked at the make
> file it the compile directory it had:

As a matter of fact, "aic7xxx" refers to the Adaptec AIC-7k range of
SCSI controller chipsets, not to the FreeBSD "aic" device driver,
which is meant for the Adaptec AIC-6360 controller (commonly used on
sound cards). The AHA-154x and AHA-x940 families of SCSI controllers
as well as the on-board SCSI controllers in e.g. ASUSTek motherboards
are built around these chips. These controller chips are complete
programmable microprocessors, and FreeBSD has an assembler (aicasm)
which is used to produce code which the ahc driver downloads to the
controller at boot time (try booting with the -v flag and you will see
diagnostic messages about this). It would seem that there is a problem
with the source code for this assembler. As to *what* the problem is,
I'm afraid I can't help you much as I'm not familiar with that part of
the kernel, and I can't see from the cvs logs that anyone has made any
recent changes to it.

--
Noone else has a .sig like this one.