Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:56:32 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Artur Enaliev <artur@nt-hosting.ru>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP on SE7500WV2 boards

--ALfTUftag+2gvp1h

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 08:36:49PM +0300, Artur Enaliev wrote:
> Thanks a lot .. I'm not sure i should install '-current' on the production
> server..
> btw.. does it increase system performance when use SMP kernel on the syst=
em
> with single Intel P-4 Xeon CPU with hyperthreading?

I haven't tried it, but I suspect the answer is "it depends".  The
logical CPUs share resources (particularly cache) so they contend with
each other which can result in worse performance.  On the other hand,
one logical CPU can do work while the other is stalled so you may see an
improvement in some applictions.

-- Brooks

--=20

--ALfTUftag+2gvp1h