Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2011 11:12:16 +0200
From:      Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@gmx.com>
To:        Dennis Glatting <freebsd@pki2.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Forward error correction routines?

On 12/14/2011 5:45 AM, Dennis Glatting wrote:
> I am looking for /any/ forward error correction code under FreeBSD,
> whether Hamming Codes, Golay Codes, Reed-Solomon, BCH codes, etc. or
> convolution encoders/decoders.
>
> All I've found is:
>
> * libfec, which only runs under i386 (I am 64 bit), and
> * reed-solomon, which is merely a library and no executables.
>
> Is there any usable utilities? Clue please.

You could try this:
http://users.softlab.ntua.gr/~ttsiod/rsbep.html

It is meant to be used with storage devices and does interleaving
so it can recover a lost sector.

Hint: the decoded output contains garbage at the end, you
have to use the included utility(or dd) to get the correct file size.

HTH, Nikos