Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 13:09:50 GMT
From:      "Mike Del" <repenting@hotmail.com>
To:        sanpei@sanpei.org, gabriel@maquina.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Would anyone like to start a FreeBSD irda project?

>   That's great!!! I can join alpha/beta test. I hope to announce some
>information about IrDA project to hackers or hardware mailing list.
>
>   In Japan, some public telephone have IrDA port. I want to use
>IrCOMM with FreeBSD. (Windows and Linux support IrCOMM and I think
>they can use public telephone without PC-Card modem)
>
>Cheers
>MIHIRA Sanpei Yoshiro

GOOD!  The more people we have the better chance we have of doing
this project!  But I need to send this message out because I really
don't know anything about coding device drivers.  And the Device
Driver Tutorial on www.freebsd.org was not much help.  I think
a lot of IR devices in notebooks are on the PCI bus (that is where
my IR device is located).  But when the kernel finds it on boot, of course
is cannot assign a driver to it because it doesn't exist.
It does tell me that the (pci class = comms)  how does one code
a class=comms?  is this anything like serial?  In the /usr/src/sys/pci/
there is some code cy_*  (sorry I forget right now)
but this code is for handling some pci serial hardware?  Would this
be of any help, for example code?

Please send all idea,etc.

Thanks,
Mike