Date:      Fri, 4 Dec 1998 14:27:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      jason@engr.uky.edu
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bin/8966: yp_mkdb does not accept standard automountd-formated source file.

>Number:         8966
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       yp_mkdb does not accept standard automountd-formated source file.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        2.2.7
>Environment:
FreeBSD blackbird.ecc.engr.uky.edu 2.2.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE
#0: Wed Jul 22 08:48:29 GMT 1998
root@builder.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

In addition to an amd-style map, I need to also serve an
automountd-style map for some HP-UX and Solaris hosts.  However,
I could not get yp_mkdb to create the automountd NIS map correctly--
it returned the error:

  yp_mkdb: bad character at start of line: jason

The input file for the map were valid, i.e. there were no odd
characters at the beginning of any lines.

Specifically,  I have two text files as sources for the two maps:
"auto.amd" for amd and "auto.home" for automountd.  The "auto.home"
format is exactly that found with NIS servers under Linux, HP-UX,
Solaris, Sun-OS, IRIX as well as page 329 of O'Reilly's "Managing NFS
and NIS".

  # cat auto.amd
  jason host!=blackbird;rfs:=/users1;rhost:=spitfire;type:=nfs;sublink
  :=jason;opts:=rw \
          host==blackbird;type:=link;fs:=/users1;sublink=jason

  # cat auto.home
  jason -rw,rsize=1024,wsize=1024 blackbird:/users1/jason

After spending several hours trying (seemingly) everything else, I
reversed the options of the data field to read:
"rsize=1024,wsize=1024,-rw" and now all is well.

Basically, this is more of a very non-standard, non-documented,
poorly-errored annoyance than a serious bug. (According to the
yp_mkdb manpage,any ASCII data can be used as key or data for
db style databases).

>How-To-Repeat:
Include a "-" as the beginning of the data entry for any NIS database.
>Fix:
(possible): Add "BUGS subsection to the yp_mkdb man page which reads:

  BUGS

       yp_mkdb seems to have a problem coping with some non-alphanumeric
characters as the first character of the data element in the inputfile.