Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 18:59:07 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@FreeBSD.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.2+ crash.. more info

Michael Smith wrote:

> Julian Elischer stands accused of saying:
> >
> > We have several hundred Bsd machines here.. we see this one enough for
> > me to recognise it..
> >
> > the plot thickens..
> > I have discovered the following:
> > 1/ the code that crashes:
> >   scanning the queues in swithc:
>
> This looks a lot like the sort of crazy stuff I was seeing when I was
> doing Verboten things inside a 'fast' ISA interrupt handler.  Do you have
> RI_FAST set for any of your drivers, particularly ones that you've written
> yourself?
>
> You could try ripping RI_FAST out ouf _all_ of the handlers you're using
> to start with and see if this cures things.
>
> > code examinations will follow with more info..
> > if this strikes anyone as familiar, do chime in!
>
> Frighteningly.  It took us the best part of a year just to get a stack
> trace that actually hinted at the problem.
>
> > julian

this particular machine has no interupt handlers that were not
part of standard FreeBSD..

ed0 and ed1 networks,
wd0 disk
sio0 and sio1

how do I SET RI_FAST? :)
(does that answer your question?)

actually it looks like some sort of SPL problem to me but as I said,
there is very little
that is non standard on this machine..

the fact that the process got put on the a sleep queue while it was
on the runnable queue. suggests that maybe an interrupt driver
ran 'tsleep' while curproc had the value of this process in it..
(does it get cleared when the idle process is running, or does it still
point to the last runnable process?
(I guess I'll go look at that).

julian