Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 13:36:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: IP aliasses

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (actually, it was on 28-Jun-99),
the great prophet Roelof Osinga once wrote:
> I'm participating in a testprogram for a local CATV ISP. To test I need
> to switch to a different IP configuration than what I'm usually running.
> But they did make it so, or so they say, that both setups are active and
> can be used at the same time, using the same CATV modem which is
> connected
> to one NIC.
>
> So I was wondering whether it would be possible to have that NIC
> setup so that it will respond to both IP addresses even though there
> will be one default route to the Internet.

man 8 ifconfig, and look at /etc/rc.conf.  Here is an example from my own
machine (My interface card is pn0, replace it with ed0 or whatever is
appropriate for your system).  IP addresses have been changed to protect
the innocent.

ifconfig_pn0="inet A.B.C.D netmask 255.255.255.0"
        # this is my own IP address for my home network
ifconfig_pn0_alias0="inet E.F.G.H netmask 255.255.255.0"
        # this is the IP address given to me by my ADSL provider
---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>-Member The FreeBSD Project| PGP: Your
*NEW* WWW HomePage: http://more.at/dburr/ ICQ #16997506 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.