Date:      Wed, 08 Jan 1997 11:33:21 -0700
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
Cc:        Greg Rowe <greg@uswest.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2 BETA Upgrade Problem

> > an upgrade using NFS, as soon as it gets to the point of installing the
> > distributions, it immediately comes back with a "Couldn't extract the following
> > distributions" (all distributions are listed) error.
>
> Yes, I've seen the exact same thing last night.  (Sorry, haven't made
> the pr yet.)

  We encountered it also.  I did a send-pr on part of it - the fact that
the system reboots after telling you it couldn't load the bin
distribution and doesn't give you a chance to select a different install
type - but I assumed the NFS mount was something I was goofing up.

> This was from a local FreeBSD 2.1.5 NFS server.  The machine I was
> upgrading could mount the 2.2-BETA directories successfully, but the
> floppy boot couldn't.

   It also failed from a local FreeBSD 2.2-BETA NFS server.  It later
worked properly from the same server via anonymous FTP.

> I had to resort to moving the 2.2-BETA sources into the anonymous ftp
> user's directory and using the FTP install option.  Luckily, that
> worked.  (Until it came time to restore my /etc directory.  More garbage
> characters appeared but recovering the files by hand worked.)

   This happened here, but only on the machine which we unsuccessfully
attempted to upgrade via NFS.  The other 2.2-BETA upgrades went perfectly -
the garbaged etc storage directory seems to be an artifact of trying to
upgrade via NFS.

    -Dave Andersen