Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 18:02:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jim@starshine.org>
To:        ajohn@cyberforge.com (Anil John)
Cc:        jim@starshine.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dial up (dynamic IP) Web Server - Possible?

> Jim Dennis[SMTP:jim@starshine.org] wrote:
>
>    >
>    >	I think you are suffering from a fundamental misunderstanding
>    >	of how internet services in general (and the web in particular)
>    >	are supposed to work.
>
> Jim,
>
> Thank you for your detailed clarification of how internet services in
> general (and the web in particular) work.
>
>    >	Do you want to just play with a server that you can access
>    >	"from the outside"?  You can do that by bringing up your connection
>    >	and pointing your browser at the dynamic IP address.  Do you want
>    >	to play with apache add-in modules?  You can do that on the
>    >	localhost anyway.
>
> Exactly.  This is just for my amusement.  I am new to Unix/FreeBSD and to
> Web Servers and I figured that setting something like this up would be a
> good way for me to learn about both.  My provider drops connections after a
> 3 hour time frame so I would not know what dynamic IP address to point to,
> from the outside, if I exceed that time frame.
>
>    >	So, what are you planning on publishing on your pages?
>    >
> Nothing that is of earth shattering import :).
>
> Anil

	No problem,

		Just point your web browser at your dynamic IP address by
		number like so:

		http://192.168.1.1:80/path/to/your/pages

	(where 192...: is replaced by your IP address, :80 is replaced
	by the port on which you're running the daemon (optional), and
	/path.../ is replaced with optional path and option file name
	(relative to your "document root" as set in httpd.conf).