Date:      Sun, 19 May 1996 19:22:27 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        slagos@net1plus.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: <no subject>

"Scott A. Lagos" wrote in message ID
<319F61F1.3A1A@net1plus.com>:
> How many IP addresses can be supported on a single Ethernet card when
> running under the latest version of FreeBSD.

If you are talking about ``aliased'' addresses, such as used when
creating virtual WWW servers, FreeBSD 2.1-RELEASE can support as many
aliases as you can fit in memory. In theory all 4294967296 (i.e. 2^32)
IP v4 addresses could be supported on one interface.

I believe that at least one person has over 200 aliased addresses on
his machine. Certainly in testing a full class C address space (if not
more, I can't remember how far the testing went) has been aliased onto
a single interface without problem.

Gary