Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:22:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bob K <melange@yip.org>
To:        Noor Dawod <noor@comrax.com>
Subject:   Re: Apache on newly FreeBSD 4.1.1-RELEASE

It's generally a good idea to wrap your lines at 70 or 72 characters.

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Noor Dawod wrote:

[snip]
> I start mysqld and then Apache on <problematic> wonderfully. Same is
> for <ok>. The problem is: when I issue a restart command to Apache on
> <problematic>, it doesn't restart and the log file shows nothing. But,
> this works on <ok>, and the restart action gets carried out smoothly.
>
> As far as I've checked, both systems look and act alike, except for
> the slight difference in versions (which, in time of compilation, were
> the same code).
>
> Could anyone help out in this problem, maybe a series of debugging
> actions to do in order to find the cause of this problem?
>
> If you need specific information, I will gladly supply it.
[snip]

What version was Apache originally running on <problematic> before the
upgrades?  I ran into a similar problem when I upgraded from 1.3.4 to
1.3.12 - not only did the name of the log files change, but also the name
of the configuration file and pid file (from httpd.pid to apache.pid).
A bug is that apachectl doesn't check [what used to be httpd.conf but is
now apache.conf] for the name of the pid file; the new version just
assumes /var/run/apache.pid, apparently.  Going through and carefully
merging the old httpd.conf into apache.conf with special attention to
file locations, killing the old httpd, and *then* apachectl start'ing
worked for me...

--
Bob <melange@yip.org>
"I'm Canadian, and I can't photocopy my ass