Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 1995 19:09:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      matt@merkury
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.0.5 circus mystery

Hi hackers.

My name is Matt Harrigan. I recently obtained a copy of 2.0.5
for installation via CD-ROM, but soon came to realize it would
not be as easy as I thought. Essentially the problem lies in that
when the kernel boots from my cdrom, and the menu system comes up,
the CDROM busy light just stays on. I go to the "installtion media"
selection menu to select cdrom, and it tells me I have no cdrom drive.

I then proceeded to boot with "fbsdboot -c -D kernel" to go to the config
menu, so I can statically set the io port address of my cdrom. the
cdrom I am using is a 4x speed TEAC which is panasonic compatible, and
according to your installation instructions, should be dynmically detected
and setup properly on its own. While in the config menu, I set the
io port address to 220, which it is in DOS. I.E. -
		" config> port matcd0 0x220 "
Now it does not appear to find the drive at all! So I reboot, re-enter
config, and do a  "port matcd0 0x230", and this seems to work for a
minute, but then locks up, exactly like when it is dynamically assigned
by the kernel.

I am not running anything strange.
I have two hard disks, one connor 327 mb with a dos partition that has
almost nothing on it except for the drivers to load the cdrom and the
drivers to load my sound card.
The other is a 1.2GB seagate.
It is empty.
The cdrom drive is using its own drivers in dos, but is connected
to a soundblaster AWE 32.
I have tried disabling every other device that is "not found"
at kernel boot.
I have set my cdrom/sound card to a different IO address (240)
I have prayed.
I am not religious.
I have asked my dog.
He wont tell me what Im doing wrong.
Ghandi didnt return any of my calls.
The pope is touring europe or something.
Aerosmith said "Free bee what?"
I rubbed the magic lamp, but Robin Williams came out and
told me to go buy bsdi.
Billy Idol, the self proclaimed cyberpunk was unavaiable for comment.
Help me. Im shrinking.

Matthew G. Harrigan
Information Systems Engineer
SAIC