Date:      Wed, 29 May 1996 03:33:22 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   stange behavior with amd

   I'm having an impossible time fixing amd on a Walnut Creek machine. It
broke last week for unknown reasons and for the life of me, I can't figure
out why. The symptom is that the auto-mount just hangs. I can manually NFS
mount the remote system just fine and the amd configuration is identical
to what we're using on other WC machines (including freefall) - and they
work fine. I rebuilt the kernel (2.1-stable) and amd, but this made no
difference. I've checked everything I can think of - everything related
to DNS, permissions on various directories, etc., everything looks fine.

   amd is being started with:

amd -a /net -c 1800 -k i386 -d cdrom.com -l syslog /host /etc/amd.map

   The amd.map file contains:

/defaults       type:=host;fs:=${autodir}/${rhost};rhost:=${key}
*               opts:=rw,grpid

   Has anyone here seen this type of behavior before and perhaps have a
solution? I've spent many hours on this and I'm getting really sick of it.

-DG

David Greenman