Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:20:04 -0400
From:      Richard Coleman <rcoleman@criticalmagic.com>
To:        Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of /stand Directory

Ryan Sommers wrote:
> David O'Brien said:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 11:12:15AM -0400, Richard Coleman wrote:
>>
>>> Of course, I still find it odd that tar and cpio are in /usr/bin,
>>> but pax is in /bin.  But that's a bikeshed for another day when
>>> we are really bored.
>>
>> pax(1) can read (ie, restore from tape) both tar and cpio archives.
>> So why litter /bin up with 3 programs when 1 will do?
>

> I tend to agree. Adding bsdtar to the root filesystem would mean not
> only bringing in bsdtar but also 2 more shared libraries
> /usr/lib/libarchive.so and /usr/lib/libbz2.so. We can just bring gzip
> into /bin and get all the functionality of cpio, bsdtar and pax
> without adding 2 extra libraries. This also will allow us to not only
> unarchive gzipped archives but also decompress single files,
> something I don't think bsdtar -z can do.

But I wouldn't be surprised if pax (and cpio) are eventually rewritten
to use libarchive as well.  So this issue my come up again.  Tim has
done such great work with libarchive, it really makes sense to do this.
Of course, until someone actually does the work, it's just speculation.

I'm just happy you are making the effort to do the cleanup.  So take
all this as just friendly discussion.  It's all good.

Richard Coleman
rcoleman@criticalmagic.com