Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:12:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marco Radzinschi <marco@radzinschi.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MS-Word (Was: Feeding the Troll)

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Mark Yeck wrote:

[snip!]

> Microsoft Word isnt a
> horrible piece of software, but it's only major advantage that I can see is
> that someone can write a document in it and send it to nearly anyone and
> expect that they will be able to open it with little effort.

Microsoft Word is a pathetic excuse for a word processor.  There are still
things that cannot be done in Word that could be done in Word Perfect for
DOS!

Yes, that's right - DOS.  For example, Word Perfect has had a very
powerful and very useful "reveal codes" function since before it had a GUI
interface.  Microsoft Word has yet to implement this function, which makes
Word inadequate for writing anything but documents requiring the bare
minimum of formatting.  This is why most law firms use Word Perfect
instead of MS-Word, even though Word is more widely used.

Microsoft has added something which they call reveal code, but it is not
in any way what Word Perfect has.  Word lets you view, but not edit, a
single formatting code. Word Perfect lets you view, alter, or insert any
and all formatting codes.

Although I know how to use Word from the computer labs at school, I have
never written anything longer than five pages on it, and that was simply
because the labs didn't carry Word Perfect.

Sorry, but I just could not resist.

Even though I know that this was certainly not Mark's main point,
Microsoft Word is indeed a horrible piece of software. :-)

- Marco Radzinschi