Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 14:03:04 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Seva 1 <seva@ns.riskinv.ru>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X 4.1.0,Matrox Millennium G450 DH LE,fxtv and ctrl-alt-+/-

Seva 1:
 |I bought Matrox Millennium G450 Dual Head LE,
 |installed XFree86-4.1.0_6 from packages (FreeBSD 4.4 release)
 |and when fxtv runs with directvideo option on secondary head
 |all freeze (or at least keyboard) when I change resolution
 |on primary head by ctrl-alt-+/-.

Short answer:  You probably shouldn't do that ;-)

fxtv is telling the TV card to dump data directly into the memory address
range of the video card's memory-mapped frame buffer.  The X server doesn't
know about this.  It's a performance hack.

When you Ctrl-Alt-+/-, the X server has full authorization to reconfigure
the video card (including the frame buffer) any way it wants.  So
transferring data to the frame buffer during this time could be dangerous.

AFAIK, I don't think X apps like fxtv can request to be notified by the X
server before and after a mode change, so (short of dumping the DGA hack
(aka direct video) and always using slower paths like XvImages and
XShmImages), I'm not sure what can be done about that.

By the same token, it's probably dangerous to reboot your machine or quit X
while fxtv is running in DGA mode.

BTW, I have a G450 too (albeit a 32MB DDR).  Besides the mode-switch issue,
how does dual-head work for you with XFree86?  And do you have DRI
(fast-path hardware OpenGL) working?

Randall

--
Randall Hopper