Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:37:36 -0800
From:      "Jack Vogel" <jfvogel@gmail.com>
To:        "Guy Helmer" <ghelmer@palisadesys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Supermicro X7DBR-8+ hang at boot

On 1/23/07, Guy Helmer <ghelmer@palisadesys.com> wrote:
> Using FreeBSD 6.2, I'm having trouble with the Supermicro X7DBR-8+
> motherboard (dual Xeon 5130 CPUs on the Blackford chipset -
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5000P/X7DBR-8+.cfm)
> hanging after printing the "Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to
> settle" message.  The hang doesn't always happen - sometimes we have to
> go through several reboot cycles for it to happen - but sometimes it
> happens with every reboot.  For those who would suggest that this
> happens because I'm using Seagate drives, it happens even if we totally
> remove the SCSI drive (but leave the aic7902 SCSI interfaces enabled)
> and boot from a SATA disk.  Using FreeBSD 6.1, the Intel gigabit
> ethernet NICs aren't found but the hang doesn't occur.

Uh, just a wild stab, I dont have the Supermicro motherboard, but on the
Intel design its based on there is unfortunately still this problem where the
floppy has some bogus wait in it. I thought this was fixed along the way
but I just installed RELEASE on Friday and saw it still occurs. It will
make the system appear to hang, look at the floppy LED, is it on?
If that is the problem you are seeing then it will eventually time out, I
get around it by defining the driver out of the kernel after install, but you
could also remove the floppy.

If that isnt it, I would suggest installing using ACPI disabled or SAFE if
needed, and then tweak the kernel after.

Have you checked the January snapshot of CURRENT to see what
happens there?

Jack