Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2002 10:41:05 -0400
From:      "Tony Sim" <y2s82@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help, my computer would not make kernel

hi, i'm a complete newbie who have decided to build his own kernel for his
computer.  i've been looking through the handbook provided on
www.freebsd.org.

I've been trying to build a kernel for my computer so that i could include
sound and perhaps other functions that were left out in generic kernel.
But, when i type in "make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL", it would function
for awhile, then says that there was an error and aborts the process.
so, i tried the traditional way, and i found out that "make depend"
functions w/out an error, while the following "make" functions creates an
error.  i do not understand the cause nor the error.  What is goin on?

I've been speculating reasons, but i've come up with only one so far.  I've
used the cd iso image from the web to create 4 cd's.  at the similar
timeline, i've also created cd for other operating system.  while trying to
install the other operating system in other computer, i've found out that
some of its files r corrupted.  it wasn't the fault of the iso because the
same file in iso had no flaws.  so i'm thinking that the burning process
wasn't as good as i thought it was.  However, could freebsd be installed
with corrupted files?  could this be the reason why my "make" commands
malfunction?  i did use "make" or "make install" for installing various
other packages (though some of them wouldn't work due to sound or graphcal
reasons... one of the important reasons why i want my kernel)

and... one more question...  how do i get OpenGL support?  is that has to do
w/ kernel as well?  or is it a port that requires an installation?

and (sorry, one more question) I've found out that i could load my soundcard
using "kldload".  Though i'm yet to see if it truely works, (i do not have
any files in the computer that makes sound...)

well, thanx for reading this far, i wish you all a great day