Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2000 14:48:51 -0600
From:      "David A. Gobeille" <dgobe@mcs.net>
To:        Richard Martin <dmartin@origen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DSL firewall and DNS

Richard Martin wrote:

> Setup looks OK
>
> >         1. When I register "company.com" with a registrar, will
> >            I be able to use 200.1.2.50 & 51 as my name server
> >            addresses?
>
> Short answer is yes, but that leaves you hanging by a thread.  It might be
> better to have your ISP agree to run their system as a slave and leave yours
> as the master.  Easy for both of you.
>
> There is another issue I haven't seen addressed and that is reverse DNS.  To
> be authoritative for a small section of a network, you must have your ISP
> grant you authority in that block.  Sorry I have misplaced the RFC, but look
> up info on 'Subdomains of in-addr.arpa domains'.  Its in the OReilly book,
> too.

RFC2317 describes in-addr.arpa delegation on non-octet boundaries.
I had that in the configuration posted. (but I have not talked with the
ISP yet to see if they would delegate that zone)

> > Configuration files for named:
> > options {
> >         directory "/etc/namedb";
> >
> >         forwarders {
> >                 isp's dns server;
> >                 ditto;
>
> I would suggest adding these options as well
>
>         allow-transfer (your slaves);
>         fetch-glue no;
>         allow-recursion (your nets, int and ext);
>
> to keep from giving away the phone book
>

> (other zone files ok)
>

> > zone "2.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
> >         type master;
> >         file "company.com.rev";
> > };
>
> This needs to come out.  Best to run private network DNS addresses on the
> other side of the firewall, or thru hosts, netbios, etc.
>
> --
> Richard Martin       dmartin@origen.com
>
> OriGen Biomedical    Tel: +1 512 474 7278
> 2525 Hartford Rd.    Fax: +1 512 708 8522
> Austin, TX 78703     http://www.cardiacdocs.com

Thanks for the info.  After your reply and some others I think
I will have the ISP do all or at least secondary DNS.

--

Dave