Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 1998 11:08:23 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Extended / Replaced Utilities

> Now I observe that for example 2.2.6-RELEASE comes with a drastically (to
> my mind) changed ftp client. I read in the release notes the 2.2.7-RELEASE
> has an ls command with many new options. Excuse me - but now I seem to be
> irritated. Where does FreeBSD go? Will it leave the traditional BSD line
> which seems to be strong argument for using FreeBSD?

No.  I think you're over-reacting to a few cosmetic changes.  Many
people LIKE the new changes to FTP.  Many people have requested a
*new* flag for ls (which nobody is forced to use) which would allow
filenames with weird characters in them to be displayed properly.

Don't mistake "traditionalism" for "stagnation" since the latter
is what you appear to be arguing for.

- Jordan