Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 23:56:32 -0700
From:      Don Humphreys <drhumph@ibm.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   getting printer to work under FBSD 2.2.2

I just installed FreeBSD 2.2.2 using CD rom.

When attempting to use lpr command to print a text file,
nothing happens.

The only thing that I noticed at boot up time was that
lpt0 was irq 7 and that lpt1 was not probed due to conflict
with lpt0.

How can I get printer to work, ie., to be recognized?

system Specs:
HP pavillion 166 mhz
32 MG Ram
2 hardrives with freebsd using 2nd hardrive 2.4+GB

Printer is Hewlett Packard Desljet 820 Cse

Any suggestion are very much appreciated. Please note that this
machine is not being used in a production environment. I am attempting
to learn UNIX at this time and have a ways to go.

Therefore, please do not consider this to be an urgent request for info.
Just need info when convenient.

Thanks,

Don Humphreys

drhumph@ibm.net