Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 2003 19:16:37 -0800
From:      Gary D Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cls@willow.raggedclown.intra>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ok, KDE/Help .. after my moans what now ?

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 02:19:27AM +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> Hello,
> Ok so portupgrde did not work in installing the latest KDE.
> I cannot get KDE to run at all.
> I get errors about libintl being missing.
> Plus a mysterious and new requirement to tell make I have a Matrox 450
> card.
> Plus the fact I cannot even re-intall KDE from the 4.7 ISO CD's.
> I get the highly useful message "Error -1".
>
> So, in my attempts to portupgrade, I get 0 points.
>
> Now, correct me if I am wrong.
> The tag for ports should always be ".", since the do not follow any kind
> of upgrade system like the release does.
> Why does portupgrade try to find 4.8-PRELEASE ports ?
> This is nonsense.
> From where is it getting this idea ?
>
> I promise,if someone is capable of explaining this to me, I will write a
> HOWTO.
>
> Because the whole frigging thing is just useless. That is my experience.

	I've been having much the same experience.  Trying to upgrade
	things let go too long on my 4.7-PRE system has been nearly'
	futile.

	I like having src, like most of us hackers.  But take Redhat
	that a friend installed on another system.  It sucks over
	ports and plugs them in and adjusts the dependencies and
	the newer Linux programs Just-Work.

	I tried to get the FBSD vers of mozilla working (with plugins)
	for a month.  It wasn't until I installed "linux-mozilla" that
	everythng worked here.  Flash, shockwave, real-audio...

	Flames to /dev/null, gentlemen.  I know that RH is commercial.
	Still, wouldn't it be "allowable" to check out their ports
	system??

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix