Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 23:25:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Scot Elliott <scot@online.barbour-index.co.uk>
To:        Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installboot (was Re: Boot)

I've had no end of trouble getting new installs of FreeBSD to install.
The trick I usually use now is to make sure a 20M or so DOS partition
exists on the boot drive before I install.  It's apparantly something to
do with the install not guessing the geometry of the disks properly.  And
it's always useful to have a DOS partition to store all the config stuff
for cards in the machine.  Of course you need to buy a DOS licence for
each machine then :)

Hope that helps

Scot.

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Jeff Lynch wrote:

> Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 12:18:16 -0600 (CST)
> From: Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
> To: freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: installboot (was Re: Boot)
>
> On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Jonathan A. Zdziarski wrote:
>
> > wd(0,a)
> >
> > I tried running /stand/sysinstall and rewriting the boot track but that
> > still didn't work (assuming I did it right, its not as if it tells you it
> > was done).
>
> This, I think is an important question to ISPs and anyone else
> heavily using FreeBSD. When I needed to do this on SunOS4.1.x,
> I just booted off CD or as a diskless client, mounted /usr
> and ran "installboot" with the appropriate args. Worked like
> a champ. I have yet to find a parallel to this for FreeBSD.
> But then, on SunOS we didn't have any possibly tricky boot managers
> to consider. Anyone know the magic incantation, assuming one exitst?

Scot Elliott (scot@poptart.org)			|    Work: +44 (0)171 7046777
PGP fingerprint: FCAE9ED3A234FEB59F8C7F9DDD112D |    Home: +44 (0)181 8961019