Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 15:21:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      DAN WELCH <WELCHDW@wofford.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   riscom8 multiport board

Please help me get this RISCom board running!

Here's what I have done:
[1] In my new kernel config file I added these two lines:

options  COM_MULTIPORT	#code for some cards with shared IRQs
device   rc0  at isa? port 0x220 tty irq 12 vector rcintr

On the assumption that rc0 is a single device with multiple elements,
I did not make a whole series of entries like I do for sio multiport.
The compile proceeded without errors.  The system reports the
presence of board and 8 channels during boot. The dmesg lines are

rc0 at 0x220 irq 12 on isa
rc0: 8 chans, firmware rev. C

[2] Looking in /dev/MAKEDEV convinced me that I needed to create
/dev/ttym0 through /dev/ttym7 and perhaps /dev/cuam0 through
/dev/cuam7 so I created both sets.

[3] I placed these lines into /etc/ttys:
ttym0	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	vt100	off secure
ttym1	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	vt100	off secure
ttym2	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	unknown	off secure
ttym3	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	unknown	off secure
ttym4	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	unknown	off secure
ttym5	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	unknown	off secure
ttym6	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	unknown	off secure
ttym7	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	unknown	off secure

The failure mode: The machine locks up at the first attempt to access
the port. The error message

rc0: chan 0: lost TX intr, reinit

comes directly from rc.c (the driver) but I do not understand it.
The failure occurs as soon as getty tries to start up on the port.
I disabled getty and used Kermit to access the port manually.  Same
behavior.

Thanks for reading this far. I sure could use some help!