Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 20:14:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Troubled FreeBSD installation

I wrote earlier about having trouble installing the latest 2.2 SNAP
over the net.  I've moved home now, and taken a hard drive with me,
and now have the following situation:

My system at home has FreeBSD 2.1.5 installed on sd0.  I removed my
wd0, which holds Win95, and put my drive from work in it's place.
I installed 2.1.5-RELEASE from my scsi CD-ROM; everything went fine.
When I reboot, however, I cannot boot from the IDE drive.  This is the
same behavior I noted at work.

Here at home, since I have the SCSI drive, I can hit F5 to move to the
second disk, load the boot loader from there, and at the Boot: prompt
type wd(0,a)/kernel and load the system from wd0.  I still cannot boot
directly from wd0 however.  I need to have this system up tomorrow;
we're supposed to be moving our entire CVS tree over by Friday.

Can anybody think of why the boot program isn't getting run correctly?
I tried disklabel -B wd0 to see if installing new bootblocks would
help, but this had no effect on bootability.

Again, thanks in advance for any help that might be offered.