Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 08:45:02 -0500
From:      Michael Urban <murban@tznet.com>
To:        root <root@snoopie.yi.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/defaluts/rc.conf

You are right from what I can tell. It looks like they intended to
change the /etc/defaults/rc.conf to have inet.d, sendmail, and
portmap off by default. However, it also looks like that never got
done. It maybe has been fixed by now. The STABLE tree changes on a
regular basis as improvments and fixes are made.

P.S. Not a good idea to send and recieve mail as root. A better idea
is to alias root so that it forwards root's mail to your normal user
account. The reason for this is in case bugs are found in the email
client that allow someone sending you mail to execute code (see
recent buffer overflow errors in Pine for a good example). At least
as a normal user, the code can only execute with normal user
privilages and not as root.