Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 1996 18:24:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        sahmad@interlog.com (Shazad Ahmad)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting DOS on FreeBSD

> I have read the FAQ on this and I'm not sure I understand correctly.
> I have FreeBSD version 2.1 (Jan. 96) and I'm trying to get it to see the
> DOS partitions on another SCSI or IDE drive.  It does recognize the
> other drive on boot up but I'm not clear how or if I can mount DOS so
> that BSD can see it.  FreeBSD is on an IDE drive and the DOS partition
> is on the SCSI drive in the same system.  I am using an Adaptec 1520
> SCSI controller to connect to the CD-ROM and the SCSI HD. I know FreeBSD
> works with the SCSI setup because it correctly sees and mounts the SCSI
> CD-ROM.  It's just the SCSI HD (DOS/Win95 File System) that I cant seem
> to mount.

You can always mount a DOS partition under BSD.

Whether or not this will screw up your BSD partition is a function of
whether or not you ran FIPS (or have a non-standard geometry translation).

BSD will show this when you mount as an "...is not a multiple..."
warning message on your console.

If you get this message, don't use the DOS FS mounts.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.