Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:58:43 -0600
From:      Henrik Hudson <lists@rhavenn.net>
To:        Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two Questions

Answer to questions 1:

Yes, you can do that and it would free up space. Just make sure to do it in
single user mode, otherwise you could have problems :) As fro drawbacks, none
except you still only have 2 filesystems, but you are getting stuff off of
root which the "important" one.

Answer to question 2:

*ALWAYS* get out of the floppy directory and unmount it before ejecting the
disk. As for the cd .. not working, you could have done cd / or something
similar, but the cd .. didn't work since you removed the filesystem and the
.. directory wasn't actually there anymore.

The sendmail part..hmmm... I am not sure :)

Henrik

On Monday 29 October 2001 10:35, Wayne Lubin wrote:
>  Question 1
>  I have recently learned about the benefits of having
>  /, /tmp, /var, and /usr all on separate file systems.
>  Unfortunately when I installed freebsd I was not aware
>  of this, so on my system I have only  / and /usr on
>  separate file systems. So this means that /var and
>  /tmp are on / taking up room.  My / is about 1 gig and
>  my /usr is about 12 gigs. My question is this. Can I
>  make directories /usr/tmp and /usr/var and copy
>  everything currently in /tmp and /var into their
>  coresponding directories on the /usr file system, and
>  make sym links from /tmp to /usr/tmp and from /var to
>  /usr/var.  Wouldn't this have the effect of these
>  directories not using any space on the / file system
>  as desired? Any drawbacks?
>
>  Question 2:
>  I was learning how to get my floppy drive working, you
>  know, mount etc...  I got it mounted and I was in the
>  /floppy directory. Did some ls commands and viewed a
>  couple of files on the floppy with vi. When I was done
>  I did a umount while I was still in /floppy.  When it
>  unmounted the floppy, I was left in "no mans land". It
>  was acting as if I was not in any directory. When I
>  tried a "cd .." the system crashed and rebooted. Now
>  when I boot my system I get the following messages
>  right next to each other..
>
>  Recovering vi editor sessions
>  sendmail[119]: My unqualified hostname unknown;
>  sleeping for retry
>
>  and then after an annoying 1 min wait(guess it was
>  sleeping) it comes back and says it will use the short
>  name for hostname, and finishes booting.
>
>  First of all, in my rc.conf my sendmail is NOT
>  enabled, which seems to mean that some other program
>  is trying to access sendmail. Secondly,in rc.conf I
>  have hostname="wayne".  My machine does not have a
>  domain name associated with it, so it is not as if I
>  can set this variable to anything meaningful.
>
>  Thanks for your help on these questions.
>
>  Wayne

Henrik Hudson
lists@rhavenn.net