Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:18:17 -0500
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: -pthread is going to break under -current soon

In a couple of days, I'll be committing changes to libc and libc_r
to allow them to be linked together via -lc_r.  libc_r will only
contain the thread functions and will not contain any libc functions
as it does currently.  We currently use -pthread as a non-standard
hack to link to libc_r and to prevent linking to libc.  After I
commit these changes, using -pthread will not work; it will produce
an executable that is only linked to libc_r but which also needs to
be linked to libc.  This also means that all (shared) threaded apps
will need to be recompiled under -current.

I'll bump OSVERSION after I make this change.  All ports that use
FreeBSD native threads will have to link with -lc_r under -current.
Perhaps a knob in bsd.port.mk, THREADS_LIB or something, could be
added and automatically set depending on OSVERSION.

--
Dan Eischen