Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 1997 18:56:35 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: user-mode nfs daemon

On Wednesday, 11th June 1997, Doug Rabson wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Joseph D. Orthoefer wrote:
>
>> Has anyone ported the usermode nfs server from linux to freebsd?
>
>Why do you want this to work?  The kernel NFS server is probably a lot
>more efficient.

Ah, yes, but the user mode one would be so much easier to change.  No need
for continuous build/reboot/login cycles.  Once you have a user mode NFS
server, you can tweak it to be a compressed file system, a crypto file system,
or even an ftp converter.  I think it would be cool to just do:

$ cd /ftp/ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD
$ ls -l
$ more README

I think a user mode NFS server could become a hotbed of interesting
development.  All sorts of border-line-insane file system ideas could
be explored with little danger to your kernel, and hence the rest of
your file systems.  What was that recent thread about a "tar" file system?
Could scotty be interfaced with an NFS server to produce a file system of
SNMP data?  Could the DNS be similarly mapped?  A special exploded CVS
view where every release tree and every file revision is available for
instant examination with ls, more, diff, wc, or whatever.

All crazy, but kind of interesting.  Maybe some are even useful.

Stephen.