Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:27:19 -0700
From:      Gavin Spomer <spomerg@cwu.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to back up mysql database

>>> John Almberg <jalmberg@identry.com> 09/30/08 3:18 PM >>>
First, I wanted to say how great this list is. I'm a newbie FreeBSD
admin and, besides the Handbook and "Absolute FreeBSD" (which never
seems to leave my desk), this list is the best resource I have.

I just had a huge scare today... One of the websites on my server
uses a large Mysql database. Somehow, one of the tables got corrupted
today.

I have been blithely backing up mysql with a simple cron script that
ran mysqldump every night. Simple, reliable, and I've never needed it.

Today, when I realized the database was corrupted, I scrambled for my
backup, and realized that if I hadn't caught the problem today,
tomorrow my backup would have been overwritten, and I would have
been... well, not a happy camper.

Again, I have run into a problem which is stupidly obvious to
experienced admins, I'm sure. I want to slap myself, but don't have
time. I'll do that after I have a better backup system in place.

I am just about to dive into Google in search of a solution, but
thought I would fire off a quick request, in case there is an obvious
solution that everyone uses. If there is, a name or URL will do. I'll
figure out the rest.

Any hints much appreciated. Not going home until this is fixed...

-- John

Off the top of my head, (someone else probably has a better solution,
they always do ;) ) why don't you keep more than one backup and rotate
them like logs and not overwrite yesterdays backup every day? Hope my 1ยข
at least gives you an idea or two. :D