Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:55:01 +0200
From:      "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@sitetronics.com>
To:        Brian Barto <bartobri@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new intrusion detection system

Brian Barto wrote:
> Very interesting stuff. Certainly worth more investigation.
>
> Something occurred to me while I read your thesis. Though maybe it was
> worth a mention. The TTL (time to live) could potentially cause the IDS
> module to be easily beaten. An attack could begin and immediately go
> into a sleep state with the intent to expire the TTL. Later resuming
> with it's actions going unnoticed.
>
> I hope to see more on this. I think it is a very creative and useful idea.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

This is certainly something that will need to be researched and tuned in
practical environments. In many cases, it's not practical to wait for
over a certain period of time to perform the combination of commands
needed to exploit software due to network or file issues. But it is a
very valid point.

--Devon