Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:37:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp), dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson), dfr@FreeBSD.ORG (Doug Rabson), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pci pci.c pcisupport.c pcivar.h

> In message <8947.960886026@critter.freebsd.dk> Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
> : "Found <FOOcorp magicchip 1242> Configure \"blaha\" driver in your kernel"
> :
> : I can see all the bloat arguments, but I have to say that the idea
> : has some merit...
>
> How could the kernel know all possible device drivers, even third
> party ones?

1)	Register them in a file

2)	Read the file using kernel level file I/O

3)	For simplicity sake, make each line in the file a fixed
	length; though some additional variable length text
	record stuff in the kernel would be useful eventually,
	the "edquota" approach is reasonable.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---