Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 1998 12:48:40 +1030
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
To:        Hostas Red <kong@kkk.ml.org>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall in kernel?

I also have this error.

It started after I built a kernel at ctm-src-cur delta # 3200.
Note that I also built the world after booting the kernel.

I made no changes to my kernel config file (as LINT did not have
anything new that I wanted).

It is caused by a program in rc.network which trys to detect if the
firewall code is compiled into the kernel.  This program fails in
some way and returns an error code in the 60's (I cant remember as
I'm having to use Win95 right now) but the script only expects
0 or 1 as a return code so it mistakenly thinks the firewall is
in the kernel.

I tried compiling in firewall support (with the default to fully open)
but this did not get rid of the error message.  I think the program
still fails unexpectedly.

Why has no one else complained about this ??  I assume you have all
passed ctm-src-cur #3200 faily quickly dues to John Dysons changes.

I will send kernel config file, and more details on which program
fails.

Why also does iijppp not work now ??  Maybe because of the firewall
error.  I tried changing my ppp.linkup  for the new syntax for the
"add" command (as seen in the lists).  I note that the samples still
have old syntax.

More details will be forthcoming soon.