Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:41:19 +0100
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        pierangelo <iyn74@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I can't install freebsd5.0 on an old 486

pierangelo <iyn74@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I'm tring to install on an old 486, with 16mb(!)
>ram, 33Mhz, 800Mb disk
>and a VGA video..
>
>  /stand/sysinstall seems to hang..
>I didn't find any kernel configuration men=F9, as I read
>on freebsd handbook.

<snipped lot's of good details>

>     Better give up and say goodbye to that old,old pc?

Not necessarily.  FreeBSD-5.0 is very new and the kernel has debugging
features built in which may cause difficulty with just 16M memory.

You could try putting more memory in, or try FreeBSD-4.8.

If that doesn't work, perhaps due to an unusual 486cpu (Free wouldn't
install on a TI486 I recently tried), you could try NetBSD.

Good luck
John.