Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 1996 12:39:36 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seeking advice on mrouted configuration..

In message <2917.825535313@time.cdrom.com>you write:
>> if mrouted thinks the ed0 and sl0 are on the same network because
>> of overlaping netmasks, it will not forward to sl0.
>
>Any chance of perhaps adding an option to *force* it to do so anyway? :-)

I know this is way late, but better late than never [perhaps]...

I have thought about this kind of option, but there is slightly more to it
than it first appears, mostly because there is no good way to determine which
interface a packet came in on from user-land other than examining the IP
source address... if you have overlapping subnets then you have to sort them
into longest-match order.

This is also why mrouted won't let you create a tunnel between two systems
that appear to be on the same subnet -- because it won't have any way to know
if a packet came in on the tunnel or on the subnet, since it doesn't
necessarily have the right info.

Perhaps part of the answer is to have an option to treat POINTTOPOINT
interfaces as special transit interfaces.

  Bill