Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:00:02 -0500
From:      Mark Bucciarelli <mark@gaiahost.coop>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS Performance Numbers

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 04:43:49PM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 11:52:47AM -0200, Marcelo Gardini do Amaral wrote:
> > >
> > > The results were discussed in the following threads:
> > >

> > I see the speed differences are major, but don't have a good
> > idea of what 15,000 DNS queries per second means.  Is the
> > following interpretation correct?
> >
> Means: as I see the 'numbers', they roughly show the
> performance of an untuned TCP/IP stack and/or of the speed the
> kernel can handle the 'subject of being tested for'.

[...]

> My purposes for the specific OS may be not very common and not that
> specific to DNS.

I'm going to build a DNS server in the next couple weeks, and the
difference between 6.1 and 4.11 in Marcelo's tests was dramatic.

Are you saying Marcelo's test results do not apply to my
situation?

[...]

> i did and do not care about 10% or 15% of > performance gain or
> drainage if I could stay with the familiar OS

I agree 100% with this idea, and that is why I am trying to get a
better gut sense if this performance difference really matters
for my application (web and email servers).

Thanks,