Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:39:51 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@cris.crimea.ua>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NO vs NO_

Alexey Zelkin wrote:

> looks like it's time to rehash "NO vs NO_" theme. Any objections
> against changing all occurences of "NO_*" variables in src/'s Makefiles
> to "NO*" ? Since "NO*" variables is mostly used in tree I think we should
> go in this way to avoid lots "empty" patches.

If you don't get any technical objections, make a patch available for
testing and review.

If the only feedback you get is about the flavour of the gravy, rather
than the meat itself, listen carefully, then go ahead and do it the way
you want it done.  Call it "chef's prerogative". :-)

For what it's worth, I agree that it'll taste better if you add
underscores.

In my opinion, the only technical issue worth discussing is whether the
change is expected to be merged onto the RELENG_4 branch.  If it's a
straight conversion, you'll make life difficult for lots of people.

However, if you were to put magic in the RELENG_4 mk files (when the
time came), you could translate deprecated names into their new names,
possibly even generating warnings for each translation.

Having said that, I don't think there's any merit in providing such
translation in HEAD.  What you're looking for, it seems, is a clean
break.  A good way to do this is to allow backward compatibility in
RELENG_4 but not in HEAD.

Ciao,
Sheldon.