Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2019 14:39:28 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        vm finance <vm.finance2@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rebuilding from latest and kernel versions

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 02:25:18 -0700, vm finance wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I downloaded pre-built VM image of FreeBSD 12.0 STABLE from osboxes.org and
> using that vmdk, I was able to get FreeBSD running under VMPlayer.
> Kernel version (uname -a):
> FreeBSD osboxes 12.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE r341666 GENERIC amd64
>
> I wanted to try latest TCP code so downloaded latest codebase on this VM:
>
> *svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/head /usr/src*
>
> built a new kernel:
> cd /usr/src;
>
> make buildworld buildkernel
>
> make installkernel
>
> reboot

Sidenote:

Have a look at the comment header of /usr/src/Makefile where you
will find the correct order of commands to do a successful source-based
update.

> After reboot, kernel version is still the same, except its has osboxes.org:
>
> FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE r341666 GENERIC amd64.
>

> Questions:
>
> 1. kernel version (r341666) hasn't changed after building latest...is
> that expected?

That is at least possible. The kernel version returned of "uname -a"
will only change when the _kernel_ changed, not when something in the
OS has been patched. Use "freebsd-version" to find out more. The
information in "uname -a" should contain the version timestamp and
your kernel configuration filename if you did build yourself.

> 2. Is it possible to label it differently and allow bootloader to pick
> latest vs 12.0 published kernel?

Yes, you can specify a custom kernel in /boot/loader.conf:

	kernel="kernel.prev"	# where you saved your previous kernel
	bootfile="kernel"	# should work -> /boot/kernel.prev/kernel
	kernel_options=""	# if needed

See "man 5 loader.conf" and /boot/defaults/loader.conf for details.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany