Date:      Thu, 24 May 2018 06:16:06 +0000
From:      =?iso-8859-2?Q?M=26S_-_Krasznai_Andr=E1s?= <Krasznai.Andras@mands.hu>
To:        Philip Homburg <pch-fbsd-1@u-1.phicoh.com>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        "K. Macy" <kmacy@freebsd.org>, "A. Wilcox" <AWilcox@wilcox-tech.com>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: [RFC] Deprecation and removal of the drm2 driver

hi

I am using a Lenovo T510 laptop with FreeBSD-CURRENT.

It contains Intel I5 processor and integrated Intel graphics adapter.

I tried to set it to drm-stable-kmod as well as to drm-next-kmod, none was =
working, I got a fatal trap, kernel panic during boot.

Compiling the packages on my system did not help. The graphics adapter can =
be old for drm-xxxx-kmod packages.

Drm2 from the base works correctly on my laptop.

rgds

Andras Krasznai

-----Eredeti =FCzenet-----
Felad=F3: owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-current@f=
reebsd.org] Meghatalmaz=F3 Philip Homburg
K=FCldve: 2018. m=E1jus 23. 11:49
C=EDmzett: Rodney W. Grimes
M=E1solatot kap: K. Macy; A. Wilcox; FreeBSD Current
T=E1rgy: Re: [RFC] Deprecation and removal of the drm2 driver=20

>Also as the Moore's law curve flattens expect the life of these
>older, but not so old, machines to live quiet some time.  I
>believe we are talking sandy bridge and earlier?  If that is
>corret Sandy bridge is still a very viable system.

I noticed this lack of love for older systems recently.=20

I wanted to use an older Dell server to test the 11.2 BETAs and RCs.

Turns out, you can't install FreeBSD using a USB stick image because the
BIOS only support MBR. No idea why MBR support was dropped for the USB imag=
es.

In the end I had to find a CD burner, and after a couple of tries managed t=
install from CD.

After that, my ansible playbooks started failing because /boot/loader.conf=
=20
is absent if you boot from zfs in combination with MBR.

Pity. This older server hardware is great for trying out new releases, play=
=20
with zfs, etc.