Date:      Sun, 09 Feb 2003 21:34:11 -0500
From:      northern snowfall <dbailey27@ameritech.net>
To:        Tom Vier <tmv@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd installer is braindead

>what about the problem of it extracting into the mfsroot? switching nics
>fixes that?

Yea, that was actually the main problem I was referring to. The "look
up" problem
can be eluded by aborting then restarting the installation. I did this
in Expert Mode
so I could go straight to media configuration once, thunking the Ether
device to
manifest the "look up" bug. Then, during stall, interrupted the look-up
to restart
the entire sysinstall instance. The second media initialization is clean.

Switching from the 8139 fixed the mfsroot bug as well. I have no idea
what the
link between the 8139 and the mfsroot is. I'm putting money on an interrupt
layer mishandling. None the less, switching NICs fixed it.
Don