Date:      Sat, 07 Jul 2001 19:55:43 -0600
From:      Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Eric, you were right!

Wes Peters wrote:

> Don Wilde wrote:
> >
> > Isn't it though? Wind River survives in the embedded world because their
> > software is so pricey the government thinks it must be worth something,
> > and therefore we Americans have the privilege of paying for it with our
>
> That's a little over the top.  Wind River survives in the embbedded
> world because they provide products and support that outshine those
> of all their competitors.  That may say something about the quality
> of their competitors that is uncomfortable to contemplate.

Perhaps, but I will note that their products also require a lot of CPU
cycles (somewhat like another 8-ton gorilla I won't mention again).
They've caused a lot of VME-68K board sales into apps that didn't need
that horsepower, and the difficulty of diving deep with their
environment has caused several projects I am aware of to waste hundreds
of extra manhours over budget.

> Wind River has, I'm certain, experienced a lot of pressure from the
> various embedded Linux vendors.  Embedded Linux offers a lot of
> functionality at a very low price point, and draws from a large
> base of relatively knowlegable programmers; it has all the same
> advantages I outlined for embedded BSD systems in a Daemon's Advocate
> column a couple of years ago.  Depending on your viewpoint, it may
> or may not have a disadvantage in the licensing.
>
> Give WRS credit for at least seeing the value in providing embedded
> BSD systems as an alternative to their customers looking for a more
> functional (and less real-time) embedded system.
>
> If WRS, BSD/Linux Central, or anyone else are not meeting our needs,
> we simply need to steer the FreeBSD Project in another direction.
> Please join us in discussing how best to do that, rather than deriding
> the company who is currently struggling to meet our demands for goods
> and services.  They're pretty new at this kind of volume, you know.  ;^)

Again, Wes, I have yet to hear back about my politely-phrased complaint.
If they sell a product, they better answer the phone. I don't see them
bothering to struggle.

As for becoming more positive, I am all for positive action. Chris
Coleman asked for support, and I dinged my CC on his website for several
times the amount of a subscription. I am ready and willing to support
the others who I don't know personally as they put their actions on
display, over and above my personal product needs.

Myself, I think the 501c3 Foundation is a bright answer whose time has
come. We do also need commercial support, and one reason I haven't
contributed more directly to the Project has been that it _isn't_ a tax
writeoff. You all know my attitude towards those ^H^H^H^H... never mind.
:-D The Foundation will give us a focus point, and I believe it will
open up a lot more support than has been forthcoming from those of us
who can't afford to support a core-team member yet.
--
Don Wilde           http://www.Silver-Lynx.com
Silver Lynx   Embedded Microsystems Architects